The Perfect Writer's Retreat - RWW Blog Hop


Hello again, and thank you for hopping over after having visited with S. C. Mitchell. It is his question we feature this week, too!


If you forgot to check out his published work while you were at his website, Steven's latest novel, The Blarmling Dilemma (Hearts in Orbit Book 1), is available through Amazon.




Hearts in Orbit — Volume 1: THE BLARMLING DILEMMA is a science fiction romance set in the far-flung space traveling future, and sets a new course across the galaxy that leads to love and adventure. 

An intergalactic circus, vicious space pirates, and a planet full of backtechers cross paths as two hearts go into orbit to save a pair of adorable Blarmlings.







And, the question Steven posed to us this week is: Describe Your Perfect Writing Retreat.



The Writer's Retreat Amtrak Express


When it first came up as a hot topic last year, I figured there couldn't possibly be a better place to write than on a train bound for . . . wherever.

As the dust settled on this pipe dream, however, I started to realize where it could all go very wrong.

Like there being other people on board whom I'd want to meet and chat with . . . for hours. Those huge cabin windows that offer spectacular views would be a constant distraction for someone who adores looking at just about anything while going just about anywhere -- even to the grocery store!

I also know (from experience) that the gentle sway of the cabins along with the sound of the rails beneath us is a great way to put me to sleep, and even in broad daylight.

In other words, the Amtrak experience isn't a likely place to get much writing done.


Another grandiose idea would be to travel to Europe (England most likely) and book a room inside one of their nifty, old castles.

There are actual writer's retreats that do this - so I've heard - and even been told by a few of the lucky ones who actually did something this exciting.

But again, it would be difficult to avoid the urge to roam about the place, pop into every room, and spend a few - hours, maybe? - looking at all of the wonderful knick-knacks, tchotchka, and paintings that no-doubt line every wall of every inch of space within those stone walls.

And, then I'd want to have a closer inspection of the grounds and surrounding land. You know, to get a feel for what it was REALLY like back then and how truly close I am to getting at least a whiff of the ambiance from just a few of the Historical romance novels I've devoured over the years.

This type of a retreat would help to feed an over-active imagination with all of its wonder, magic, and history at my disposal. Being in Europe, England at least, and in a real Castle would give me tons to think about, and then probably taking hundreds of pictures for reference and memory purposes once I got back home and THEN got down to the task of writing a novel.

So, a Castle Writing Retreat is not exactly conducive to the writing experience, either.


Being anywhere with a terrific view for the purpose of writing sounds glorious, doesn't it?

But would it take me at least a full week to get over that spectacular view?

I'd want to roam about the place, explore, discover, and load up on pictures.

Once my curiosity is appeased, maybe then I'd find time to actually write.

With heaps of great info and know-how now being added to a growing list of things to write about from actual experience: like local customs, vernacular, the environment, weather patterns, and flora/fauna aspects that inhabit such a place, THEN I'd be able to settle down to the actual task of writing.

I think by then the retreat would be over, wouldn't it?

I really don't believe I'm cut out for nor have any interest in attending a Writer's Retreat, but then I don't think that was what Steven had in mind for this week's thought, either.

If I really need to get any writing done, I need to be in a familiar place to do it. A place without too many distractions, people, things, and food to keep me distracted and unproductive. I would look at it as a vacation from writing yet still be able to learn about writing nonetheless.

So, my favorite retreat is right where I am now, inside my space with my laptop and all my personal things surrounding me. And, my music, of course.


Now, if it was possible to find and rent some tiny space all to myself and with no time frame to vacate (be able to stay until the manuscript is finished), then YES! I'm there.

The adorable little lighthouse by the sea. A one-room shack tucked away on a mountainside.

Gosh, what fun it would be to have a houseboat!

Not in a crowded harbor laden with hundreds of other boats, though. Just a houseboat moored to a pier on an inland lake surrounded by forest.

Sigh. I'm sure I'd be a more prolific writer and maybe even a better, more descriptive one, if that was my reality. :D

As always, I appreciate that you took the time to drop in and read my response.

Next up on the hop, we pay a visit with Leslie Hachtel and find out what would be her ideal Writer's Retreat.

Leslie's novel, The Defiant Bride, is available through Amazon.




Dariana refuses to be forced into marriage, even if it has been ordered by the king, so she fakes her own death only to be discovered and tricked into marriage with William, a man she may not be able to forgive. 

When William, a warrior knight, is felled by an arrow, she saves his life and arranges his rescue before fleeing to avoid discovery. 

When Dariana is abducted, William must track her down to fight for her life and their happiness.


And, Dariana, once the most defiant of brides, must channel her own strength of will into survival, both for herself—and for the child she now carries.

Comments

  1. Trains are great for writing! I also love your house boat idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true, I can never discount to distraction factor

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of writing in a lighthouse by the sea. I want one of those too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful images (the pictures and the ones your words conjure up), but you are so right. Those exotic retreats would eat up all my writing time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These all sounds like wonderful places to go, and maybe even write!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Thought Bubble Never Pops #MFRWauthor

Do You Keep a Journal or Diary? #MFRWauthor #bloghop

Unforgettable, is What I Saw #MFRWAuthor #BlogHop