Tweaking Recipes Equals True Love #MFRWAuthor #BlogHop




Hi, everyone!

Welcome back for another installment of the MFRW Author Blog's 52-Week Blog Challenge.

This is now Week 49 of the challenge, and today's topic is: A Favorite Recipe 

Having not grown up in a Betty Crocker type environment, although my mother did use her cookbooks from time to time, she just wasn't of a mind to allow her two daughters to help out around the house... least of all in the kitchen.

That's right, folks!

Me and my older sister were responsible for our sides of a shared bedroom and that was it.

Ma did all of the household chores because that was her way: HER way and no other way, in other words.

When I left home, I did my fair share of cooking and turned out (if you don't mind my saying so) to be a rather decent cook.

As for baking, well, the simple answer is no.

Gas or electric stove, my cookie bottoms burn, my cakes sink, don't rise, or taste 'off' in some way.

As for yum-yum's, I'll tell you that I prefer my Rice Krispie Treats with Corn Flakes instead of Rice Krispies, thank you.

Again, it's the very same recipe, just switching the key ingredient.

Here's why.

Rice Krispie Treats taste like Rice Cakes and both are bland, boring yuck in my opinion.

Switch out to Corn Flakes and suddenly you taste everything as it slowly melts in your mouth.

There is a hard/fast recipe for this online if you are interested, but my way is simple.

In a large frying pan, I melt an entire stick of butter, then I gradually add about 3/4 of a bag of regular sized marshmallows, stirring with a wooden spoon until creamy.

I then add food coloring (in this case, green) and stir over a low flame before adding about a cup of Corn Flakes (more as needed).

You turn off the heat at this point and just stir until the Corn Flakes and marshmallow mixture combine.

The tricky part (for me) is making the shapes while the mix is still hot (or very warm) because once the mix cools, it hardens and you are left with a big lump of difficult-to-chew sweetness.

I have learned over the years that too much marshmallow will produce a very hard treat, so start with the 1cup and gradually add as you stir, making sure your creamy doesn't become 'fluffy' (pancake consistency, I think).

I do love to cook, and my kids say I'm terrific at it, but the jury is still deliberating in my head about their sincerity in that regard 😽

I have my own versions of most common dishes as well, including Swedish Meatballs, Goulash, and even poached fish (I use green tea).

The one thing I kind of / sort of invented is a roasted potato dish they both say is their very favorite.

Diced potatoes (I prefer Yukon Gold), diced bell peppers (all three colors), diced onion (yellow), 1/2 a bag of frozen corn, and my spices.

I toss the potatoes in a mix of dried Italian dressing mix, salt/pepper, celery salt, and dill, coat the pan in olive oil and drizzle more over the potatoes, put it all in an oven-safe bowl and cook at 275f for 1 1/2 hours (covered).

Then I spread the mix on a baking sheet, add the veggies and a bit more olive oil, slide the sheet back into the oven, and raise it to 325f for another 1/2 hour, stirring as needed (this is just for crispness).


Fine Cooking by Scott Phillip



Thank you for stopping by to read my post!

Please scroll down to the LinkyLink toll and click on the next in line to read about their Favorite Recipe.







Comments

  1. Never thought to use Corn Flakes instead of Rice Krispies--interesting. I'll give it a try and the potato dish looks like my kind of potatoes. Adding both to my new recipe book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great recipes! Thanks for sharing. I'm going to try both of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look really good. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those wreaths sure look beautiful. What an interesting substitution!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I"m going to try the potatoes. Never saw krispy treats shaped like that but they're perfect for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE Corn Flake Crispies! My MIL introduced them to me; she'd form trees out of them, with a red-hot near the top.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love playing with recipes, and making 'mixed leftovers' - seeing what in the frig can go together!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I never thought about using Corn Flakes instead of Rice Krispies, but that sounds really good! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cool about the cereal treat. I'm not sure I would be able to make them as decorative as in the shot, but it's worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
  10. PRetty wreaths and the roasted potato dish, too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your corn-Krispy wreath is perfect for the holidays. I like the different veggies in the potato recipe. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Thought Bubble Never Pops #MFRWauthor

Over There! #MFRWauthor Blog Challenge Week 17

Ideally, He's What I Want - #MFRWauthor 52-Week Blog Challenge